Got Peanuts!

We went on a day trip back to my hometown, Raub last Sunday; as we needed to go to Sg Koyan for my brother-in-law's engagement. To get to Sg Koyan, one have to pass through Raub town and like always, I just can't resist in stocking up on some things - I got petai from Dad (stinky beans - more about the beans here) and some famous Sempalit ground roasted peanuts. No durians though even though there are plenty of them sold along the roadside. I only get my durians from my dad who got it from the Orang Asli (aboriginals) or from the Company orchard. XD

Raimie with our bounty. Packets and packets of peanuts!
Usually I got my peanuts from a stall at the Raub bus station, but as the trip was on a Sunday, the stall was closed so we headed off to one of the peanuts factories in Simpang Kallang.

Here we are at the factory. The peanuts factories in Raub are not big, most are family owned with their house adjacent to the factory. If the gates are open, you can just walk in and peer around the house if there is nobody at the factory. That's what we did exactly as there was no one manning the stack of packed peanuts so we had to peer inside the house calling to pay for our peanuts.

The area where the peanuts are stored

One bonus of buying direct from the factory - cheaper packs of peanuts. Of course if you want to buy just one packet, just head to the nearest supermarket! Nowadays, these Kacang Goreng Sempalit are readily available in supermarkets and shops across the country. Isn't that great?

The packing machine inside the factory

Stacks of peanuts for sale


Peanuts! (Finger doesn't belong to me. I forced of of my colleagues to put her finger beside the peanuts. LOL)

Comments

  1. How do they taste? better than those brands like Tong Garden? I don't know there still are family-owned peanut factories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ECL,
    taste like kacang tua. :D

    It's personal preference. Some like it, some do not. I personally don't care too much of the Cap Beruang peanuts but my friends love them.

    I'll bring some for you to sample. Wait till June, OK? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wah so Raub must be a bustling peanut factory? And if I get it right from your above comment, I also hope to see you in June xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jim,
    yes, you read right. :)

    All the factories are not that big. You might even miss them if you pass by. Small ones but that makes them much more special. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the steamed or boiled peanuts in the shell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ayie,
    those are nice too! I used to eat them at funfairs. Bring memories...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mesti sedap, straight dr kilang.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Farah,
    memang sedap. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts