A Second Chance: Maggie Kim, An Inspirational Lady

I first got to know Maggie through Malaysia Women Marathon (MWM) while corresponding with the race director, Karen Loh in late 2012.
Our first meeting was when she kindly invited me to join a few other ladies to welcome Ms Kathrine Switzer at LCCT in Apr.

Through these few months; before and after MWM, I followed her running exploits through her FB updates and am very impressed at what a strong runner she is. She is a podium-placing runner and can easily beat top women runners, half her age! Her daily training regime is enviable too. This is one disciplined and determined runner, I tell you.

She coaches too and she once promised me that through her coaching, she’ll make sure her charges be able to run her PB timing for marathon. That’s 3:32 hours folks! No kidding!

A week ago, she invited some runners to a FITLINE training where she will be talking about her running experience and using the FITLINE products too. 
While waiting for the training talk to start, Maggie graciously showed me a few stretching exercises to help me with my Plantar Fasciitis issues.

I have yet to try any of them so I cannot vouch for them but Maggie told me that her energy level, recovery and timing improved tremendously using the products.

While I wasn’t all that interested in the MLM module of FITLINE, I was certainly inspired listening to Maggie, which was why I attended it in the first place.
Maggie, talking about her experiences on running – in Jakarta, in Auckland and coming back to Malaysia.

For such a strong runner, it was surprising to know that she underwent a double knee surgery in 2009 and had to go through months of grueling physiotherapies and had even stopped running. She seeked all sorts of treatments and alternatives to return to running and had almost given up.

Then, she learnt about cartilage injection to restore some of the lubrication lost and this treatment had help her come back strong to running again.

With what she calls her second chance to running, Maggie sure isn’t resting on her laurels!

After SCKLM 2013 was postponed, she needed to peak somewhere and decided at the last minute to enter the Half Marathon at Larian Bendang in Kedah. She not only was the Women Champion in the run, she improved her timing by 8minutes!

She went on to do the King’s Cup 56th Pattaya Marathon and did it in 3:53:15. The feat earned her a number 3 placing! Plus 19 minutes shaved off from her MWM time.

That’s only a couple of races that she did in July and August! Awesome lady, she truly is. ^^

It’s such a great honour to know such an inspiring lady.

So what’s my excuse for not training and not doing my best again?
One for the album. Nannoor, Maggie and me.

Comments

  1. Woww you looked stunning in your black dress la Sis... Looked forever young... Where got fat maa... ;P

    Oh my, she's very inspiring... It seems that she used her second chance to the fullest and really deserved to hit those PBs and podium finishers... Truly an idol in running community...

    So if I'm interested to know more about the FITLINE, just google for it right? ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aizat,
      Ha tu Maggie dah reply kat bawah tu.

      Apa lagi, contact Maggie for any advice. :-)

      Delete
    2. Will do... Very good la this Mommy Bunny in promoting such prolific lady runner and her products as well.... I was in awe... =D

      Delete
    3. Erk... In case org salah faham, I am not promoting the products.

      I went there as Maggie invited me and I wanted to listen to her amazing experience.

      Pasal Fitline, I cuci tangan. Not taking. Not promoting. Not selling either. :-)

      Delete
  2. wow, podium placing runner?? i can see she is a very disciplined and determined lady.. how inspirational i would not say because i'm not into running, but i do think she has the same set of principles that she applies to her daily life.. and that's what make her life meaningful i guess :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Those kind of discipline sure translates to work and life ethics too.

      Delete
  3. hehehe FITLINE products, that sounds very familiar because i've always heard that from our WENNder Woman from Ipoh.. not interested in this MLM product?? no problem, i guess Maggie sure have given you lots of advices and you learned a lot from her experience sharing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or Wenn can also share her knowledge on Fitline products eh? Wenn? ;)

      Delete
    2. well, I may try that..

      Delete
  4. Hi - such a great write up! I am honoured!! Yes, indeed Marlina, u described me very well. I don't hide anything! Thats me alright!! Yes, if u like to know about FITLINE u can always count on me too, just FB me!!

    I only have one last thing to add, I wanna transfer what I know to all fellow Malaysians whether u r a woman or man, whether u r a runner or doing any other sports at all!!!

    My facebook name: Maggie Kim Hong Yeo or my email: magwenwei@yahoo,com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie,
      Your blogger profile is so funny!
      How are you after Mount Rinjani?

      What a generous offer.

      Everyone,
      Please do contact her if you need anything on Fitline or sports. :)

      Delete
  5. Plantar Fascitiis.. oh so technical!! so to put is simple and in layman terms, "plantar fasciitis (PF) is a painful inflammatory process of the plantar fascia, the connective tissue or ligament on the sole (bottom surface) of the foot" [source: wikipedia]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeee... OK One : I salah eja. :P

      Two : haiyoh, use Wikipedia ah? Not copy from some medical journal? kekeke

      Technical ah?

      Well, I've had this for ages. Last year I had to stop for two weeks recovering. Good thing I was still able to run in the 2012 Penang Bridge after that despite the injury. Not so lucky this time as I'm still recovering. :(

      Delete
  6. awesome lady and inspiring too.. i am sure our Mak Lina will surely be the celebrity runner other people feature in their blogs soon.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I no good in running.

      No thirst for success. I just like having fun. :P

      How to be inspirational?

      Delete
  7. Lina I like the black blouse you're wearing that day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh about Fitline, you can get advices from Wenn too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my reply to SK comments ;)

      But of course for runners, feedback from other runners sounds better. :P

      Delete
    2. I tried the product for once, not cheap though! Maybe it will help to minimize your injury - what is called again "Plantar Fasciitis"...

      Delete
    3. So you're fully recovered by now? I have no idea how serious it was but just try your best in your running k. Don't push yourself too much. Just concern.

      Delete
    4. Fitline is not a remedy for medical ailment la. Take medicine and do physio better! LOL

      Taking supplements like Fitline is to boost performance. That's my take on them. ^^

      Delete
    5. yes, ask me..
      I have been taking Fitlne since 2005..

      Delete
    6. take medicine plus supplement make a whole lot of difference, Lina.

      Delete
    7. They're having a 10year anniversary promo or something on now, right Wenn?

      It was mentioned when I was there.

      Delete
    8. I used to take Fitness Drink when I was training at the gym and running in 2006. It helped me by boosting my stamina and my recovery from minor injuries was fast too.

      Delete
    9. yes and I didn't have the time to attend their conventions since I started working at the shop.

      Delete
    10. Good to know it work well for you for many years.

      You're so busy nowadays, do you still promote the product?

      Delete
  9. Maggie is a very discipline lady with full of confidence. *_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Opps, I don't know who is she! But not I know la~ ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long distance runners are not that popular in Malaysia despite many who competed and won in international level. Sadly...

      Maggie is one such athlete.

      Delete
  11. Good luck to you Mak Lina. Happy running again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning lina

    She sound like a remarkable lady. Generous with advice too.

    Good luck in running for you . Hope recover soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she is! :-)

      Thanks Meow.

      Don't stress yourself our with the moving too, k?

      Delete
  13. Oh I have heard of Fitline. MLM products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yalor.

      Almost nodded to sleep listening to the pitch but was wide awake when Maggie gave her talk. ;)

      Delete
  14. Looks like you have found some one to inspire you : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is one of them!

      I need all the inspiration I can get! :)

      Delete
  15. Wahhhh woman, you got a marathon coach some more! You steady lah. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No lah... Maggie coaches runners but not me.

      I am not committed or disciplined enough to have a coach. Run for fun for the time being. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts