Press Release: #AllianzDare2bHealthy Winners Kick It Up A Gear

From left : Zurina Omar, Allianz Life CEO Joseph Gross, Seamonkey Dive Centre representative Adidah Hitam, Jordan Lo Jo Zheng, Umadevi Vengdesh and personal trainer Subash Adrian from Afterburn Studio during the press conference

Kuala Lumpur, 1 September 2016 – No pain. No gain. For the past eight weeks, three average Malaysians – Umadevi Vengdesh, Jordan Lo Jo Zheng and Zurina Omar – have kept a firm grip on their goals and are now on the brink of fulfiling their #AllianzDare2bHealthy campaign resolutions.

Jordan, 27, who aims to become a certified diver will perform his first deep-sea dive in Redang Island in Kuala Terengganu on 2 October 2016; Umadevi, 36, will trek through Annapurna, Nepal, on 6 November 2016; and Zurina, 33, who targets to run 8km in 60 minutes will complete her resolution at the Allianz Pacer Run 2016 in Putrajaya on 27 November 2016.

Currently at the half-way mark, the trio revealed how they were inching closer towards their personal resolutions at the press conference at Aloft Hotel Kuala Lumpur today.

“When we started this campaign in May, we went into it hoping to inspire Malaysians from all walks of life to get moving and get healthy. We wanted to give people an opportunity to fulfil their resolutions. Because, let’s face it. How many of us begin a year with a resolution, but never see it through. Most of us need that extra push, so we decided to be that catalyst for at least three Malaysians and letting them live out their daring resolutions,” said Joseph K. Gross, CEO of Allianz Life Insurance Malaysia Berhad (Allianz Life).

“Through this campaign we gained great engagement with Malaysians who dared themselves to get healthy and fulfil resolutions. In fact, we had more than 200 entries that we dwindled down to three winners. It has been a pleasure to be able to help them achieve their resolutions and to share in their journey of extraordinary personal achievement. We hope that their stories will not only inspire Malaysians out there to do the same, but plant a seed that you are in charge of your life – so live it to the fullest,” added Joseph.

The #AllianzDare2bHealthy campaign was launched with a three-day on-ground activation event held between 6 - 8 May 2016 at the Ground Floor of Nu Sentral in Brickfields, Kuala Lumpur. The campaign then continued online until 29 May 2016.

The 24-day campaign attracted more than 200 Malaysians who have pledged to revive their resolutions, get out of their comfort zone and start living a healthier lifestyle.

To find out more about the #AllianzDare2bHealthy campaign, visit the Allianz Malaysia’s Facebook page at facebook.com/AllianzMalaysia or Instagram page at instagram.com/allianzmalaysia/.

#AllianzDare2bHealthy Winner’s Profiles

Name: Umadevi Vengdesh
Age: 36
Industry: Finance/Unit Trust
Resolution: To complete the Annapurna Trek in Nepal
Date with destiny: 6 November 2016

• A self confessed adrenaline junkie.
• Was shy growing up, but discovered her love for adventure and outdoors during her college years.
• Also made it to the semi-finals of Fear Factor Malaysia in 2007.

On why she chose her resolution:
“I started hiking a few years ago and got to know about the Annapurna track through my hiking buddies. That spurred my interest in snow capped mountains. In 2015, I reached the peak of Mount Kinabalu and it was amazing. And I knew I wanted to push beyond that and the AllianzDare2bHealthy challenge is going to help me achieve that.”

On her progress so far:
“Well, I carry weights now! I used to think that being a girl, carrying weights would make me look bulky. But it’s necessary to build strength and also stamina. I have also been doing a lot of hiking in preparation. I’ve gone to Bukit Tabur a couple of times, Broga Hill and just last week I hiked Mount Rinjani in Lombok, Indonesia. Rinjani was one the toughest hikes I have ever done because it was like taking three steps down and two steps up – just a grueling, humbling experience and a good preparation for Annapurna. And I’m really thankful to Allianz for the opportunity.”


Name: Jordan Lo Jo Zheng
Age: 27
Industry: Digital Marketing
Resolution: To become a certified diver
Date with destiny: 2 October 2016

• Loves everything about the ocean from coral reefs to ocean flicks like Jaws!
• Would like to perform his first dive in Kuta in Bali, Indonesia.
• If he wasn’t working in the media, Jordan would be working with animals, especially turtles.

On why he chose his resolution:
“I’ve always liked being outdoors. I’ve always wanted to experience the great adventure. I’ve been rock climbing and snorkeling and realised that there’s a whole other world beneath the ocean that I would love to explore it. Becoming a certified diver was always on my so-called bucket list and I am more that excited to be embarking on this journey.”

On his progress so far:
“I am still undergoing the theory lessons… I haven’t touched the water yet, which is likely to happen this month. It’s been insightful. I think a lot of people out there have the misconception that theory is secondary? But everything from theory to practical is crucial in deep-sea diving. I am looking forward to the practical phase when I get to put into practice what I have learned so far. But I am equally if not more excited how this experience will empower me to do far greater things and really push me to live my life to the fullest.”


Name: Zurina Omar
Age: 33
Industry: Freelance/ IT
Resolution: To run 8Km in 60 minutes.
Date with destiny: 27 November 2016

• Got interested in running after observing race kit collections
• Started participating in running events 3 years ago
• Currently, can run 6KM in 60 minutes

On why she chose her resolution:
“I feel as though I’ve hit a brick wall, which runners out there would understand. Whatever I do to improve on my timing hasn’t worked. It was quite frustrating. So this year, I made a promise to myself – to run 8KM in 60 minutes. Running is a mental game. And I really want to commit myself to this. This challenge is my stepping stone. With the right guidance, I know I can achieve it. And when I do, I am going to be so happy.”

On her progress so far:

“It’s been a real challenge for me. My progress was really steep in the first couple of weeks. The cardio was intense but my trainer was very patient with me. My weight was the issue, I knew I had to re-programme my mind to eat right and keep to my training. The nutritionist came in and that taught me how to change my perception on how I view food. It was all about portion control. So, I’m on 1,500 calories per day and my two snacks are a piece of fruit and yoghurt.”


About Allianz in Malaysia
The investment holding company, Allianz Malaysia Berhad, a subsidiary of Allianz SE, has two insurance subsidiaries - Allianz General Insurance Company (Malaysia) Berhad (“Allianz General”) and Allianz Life Insurance Malaysia Berhad (“Allianz Life”).

Allianz General is one of the leading general insurers in Malaysia and has a broad spectrum of services in personal lines; small to medium enterprise business and large industrial risks. Allianz General also leverages on the bancassurance agreement with CIMB Bank to reach out to the bank's over-a-million-customer base. The GWP for general insurance business for financial year 2015 reached a mark of RM2.18 billion.

Allianz Life offers a comprehensive range of life and health insurance and investment-linked products and for the financial year 2015, Allianz Life recorded a GWP of RM1.95 billion and is one of the fastest growing life insurers in Malaysia.

Allianz Malaysia has 38 branches nationwide.

In 2015, Allianz Malaysia Berhad received the Outstanding Achievement Award at the inaugural ASEAN Corporate Governance Conference and Awards (ACGCA) as well as the Excellence Award for Top Corporate Governance and Performance (Overall) and Merit Award for Most Improved at the Minority Shareholder Watchdog Group (MSWG)-ASEAN Corporate Governance Award 2015. Besides that, Allianz Malaysia was also listed on The Edge Billion Ringgit Club’s Top10 Corporate Responsibility Initiatives (Below RM10 Billion market cap), which celebrates the largest and standout performers of the Malaysian corporate industry. The Company’s MyAID (Malaysians Against Irresponsible Drivers) advertising campaign also won two bronze and seven merit awards at the Kancil Awards 2015.

To learn more about Allianz Malaysia, visit allianzmalaysia.com
Facebook: allianzmalaysia@facebook.com | Instagram: instagram.com/allianzmalaysia/

About Allianz
Together with its customers and sales partners, Allianz is one of the strongest financial communities. About 85 million private and corporate customers insured by Allianz rely on its knowledge, global reach, capital strength and solidity to help them make the most of financial opportunities and to avoid and safeguard themselves against risks. In 2015, around 142,000 employees in over 70 countries achieved total revenues of 125.2 billion euros and an operating profit of 10.7 billion euros. Allianz SE, the parent company, is headquartered in Munich, Germany.

This business success with insurance, asset management and assistance services is based increasingly on customer demand for crisis-proof financial solutions for an aging society and the challenges of climate change. Transparency and integrity are key components of sustainable corporate governance at Allianz SE.

Comments

Popular Posts