Q&A WITH SHAHROM ABDULLAH, THE EXTREME SPORTS JUNKIE & SOUTH POLE CONQUEROR

SHAHROM ABDULLAH, THE EXTREME SPORTS JUNKIE & SOUTH POLE CONQUEROR
Shahrom Abdullah, is a triathlete and extreme sports enthusiast from Gua Musang, Kelantan. He is a proud owner of a bicycle shop and also works as a part-time coach and coaches his students who are participating in IRONMAN Malaysia.

One of the best highlight of Shahrom’s adventurous life is when he successfully completed Malaysian Seven Contingents Exploration Club (KE7B) to South Pole in 2015. With his strong determination and will, he managed to conquer South Pole in just 37 days.

Shahrom’s IRONMAN Malaysia best achievement to-date is when he was crowned the Best Malaysian Male title in 2017. He finished the race with the timing of 10:19:52. 

IRONMAN is an internationally recognized triathlon that consists of 3.8km swimming, 180km cycling and 42km running.  ͞

"IRONMAN has taught me to be disciplined. I encourage Malaysians to try and finish IRONMAN at least once in their life for that life changing experience",͟ said Shahrom when asked about how he felt after winning the Best Malaysian Male title in 2017.  ͞

"Do it because you love it and not because others are doing it. Consistency is the key and listens to your body. If you are tired then rest, if you feel good then push on",͟ advised Shahrom to people who wants to try triathlon.

The Basics On The Man Himself
Full name: Shahrom Abdullah
Place of Birth: Kelantan
Date of Birth: 20 July 1979
Occupation: Bicycle shop owner

Q: What is your greatest strength? 
SA: Strong determination

Q: How do you handle stress and pressure? 
SA: I try to look at the positive side of things, don't make excuses and always look for a solution. 

Q: What was your greatest accomplishment as an athlete? 
SA: Ranked amongst the top 15 Elite at the Powerman Zofingen Long Distance Duathlon World Championship.

Q: What excites you the most about a career as an athlete? 
SA: It's my passion for the sport. Being able to do what I love every day for the past 20 years have been great.

Q: You are a bicycle shop owner. How do you find time for training? 
SA: I only have time for 1 session a day now. I start my day early with training almost every day. I am at my bike shop at 11am and the day ends at about 9-10pm as I also coach my students at night who are doing the IRONMAN Malaysia. Time management is key.

Q: What is your favourite discipline and why? 
SA: Running as I can go run anywhere and explore places. Cycling/MTB especially when I am traveling, as I love to explore the country side on my bike.

Q: List down your achievements as an athlete. 
SA: I have been consistently at the top in the duathlon scene for many years. But have recently attempted the 2017 IRONMAN Malaysia and emerged as the 1st Malaysian finisher after my last attempt at full IM distance 13 years ago.

Q:.Can you share with us your nutrition plan when doing triathlon? 
SA: I take the usual energy gels and bars. But during long bike rides, I consume raw honey to keep my body going.

Q: What is your advice to people who wants to try triathlon?
SA: Do it because you love it and not because others are doing it. Consistency is king and listen to your body. If you are tired then rest, if you feel good then push on.

FUN FACTS ABOUT SHAHROM ABDULLAH 
  • He loves  to dance 
  • He likes  pranking people when they are stressed 
  • He enjoy cookings
  • He enjoy awatching motor sports and watching movies

Comments

Popular Posts