D For Duathlete Dayangku Zarinah

Every year on March 8th , the world celebrates International Women’s Day to support, raise, inspire and women across all fields. To celebrate the upcoming International Women’s Day in March, I asked a few questions to a few female athletes who manage to juggle work, family and training life; in keeping of this year’s theme of #BalanceforBetter and celebrate women’s achievements and tenaciously challenge bias. 

These strong women show us that with determination and focus, women can achieve so much more. They are women who embrace the multi-sports discipline of swim-bike-run with such determination and doing it in style.

The interview series will feature six selected females duathletes/triathletes and will be periodically  posted until we reach the week of International Women's Day.
photo credit to Soon Chung Lim
Let us start with our first athlete - Dayangku Zarinah.

Thank you for spending time to answer a few of our questions. 
For the readers, can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
I'm full time mom of 5, retired corporate counsel, now a freelance certified fitness trainer. My passion is to assist persons with chronic diseases and disabilities to get better quality of life with the right exercise program.

First of all, why duathlon?
I started cycling when studying in the university way back in the 90s, it was a mode of transportation then. In my early 40s I rekindled my love of cycling. Running was part of cross training, it's only natural to progress to duathlon.

Which is the hardest discipline for you – cycling or running?
Cycling is quite technical as you need to handle your bicycle well on the open road. You have to pay 100% attention to the terrain, road surface and other road users especially passing heavy vehicles.

How do you get through that hard part to complete your race?
I always looking forward to reward myself with something upon completion of a race.

Apart from the physical aspect of training, do you face any challenges or resistance from people
around you in your quest to be a duathlete?
I'm so lucky to have a husband who is also a duathlete, so instead of resistance, I have full support in training and races. Even my kids are also supportive of their mom's quest to stay healthy by participating together in fun run and trail hike.

What is your typical day like?
On weekdays, early morning getting the kids ready for school, preparing meal for the day, then do my work. Evening usually spent helping the kids with their school work and trying to squeeze some short run around the neighbourhood or short spin on the bicycle trainer twice a week. Longer run and open road cycling is scheduled for the weekend. Sometimes I hit the trail as part of cross training.

How do you fit in your training schedule between work, family and other commitments?
I'm quite happy if I manage to do 80% of the scheduled training on the weekdays, family and other commitments always take priority.

I’m sure training hasn’t been a walk in the park, what motivates and inspires you to keep going?
I want to be fit and healthy for the rest of my life.

How do you get through tough days?
Step back and reminiscing the journey that made me who I am now.
photo credit to M.Ghazali M.Shariff
What’s your most memorable experience in doing duathlons?
I have participated in all categories of Powerman Asian Duathlon Championship; Relay in 2011, Sprint in 2012 and Classic in 2013.

What’s your proudest achievement to-date?
When I managed to beat my husband during Port Dickson International Duathlon in 2014. That's the only time I finished before him in a race!

Any funny or silly moments you want to share too?
I totally lost my voice upon completion on Kuantan Century Ride in 2014. It was my first 160km race under the hot sun and nasty head winds.

Do you have a favourite gear or outfit that you have to have during your race?
My trusted calf compression sleeves.

What’s next for you?
Looking forward to participate in the next duathlon.

Any advice or tips for those who are starting out or plan to enter this wonderful, exciting world of duathlons?
Train as hard as you can but don't forget to have fun and reward yourself.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions and we wish you the best for your
future races!
You're welcome.

And oh! Happy Birthday Dayangku Zarinah!

Comments

  1. This makes me wanna join a duathlon. Then again it is not really common like Triathlon right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gasp! I wouldn't call doing either a duathlon or tri common!
      But then again, I am no superwoman. Hehehe

      Delete
  2. I salute this lady! Respect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday DKZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh so duathon means cycling and running races combined. thanks for doing this interview series. inspiring for women who want to be like them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts