Training Continues In Ramadan

From end of June till August, I have several races lined up from fun runs such as the Milo Breakfast Day on June 30th to Hulu Langat Marathon on July 7th and also a few half marathons and 15K here and there. And somehow, I also registered for The Magnificent Merapoh Trail in late August! 

After my Nagoya Women's Marathon in early March this year, I only had a few runs in both March and April. I was feeling severely lazy and uninspired (when it comes to training lah). 

Being busy with my freelancing stuff on top of my regular 9-6 job wasn't exactly helping either as I seemed to be getting a lot of jobs with really tight deadlines. Of course, it was just an excuse, I could have find the time if I really want to.

It may be a weird time for some to choose the Ramadan month to return to a training regime but that's what I have managed to do so far.

Being able to go off from work earlier at 4:30pm really helps and I certainly didn't mind coming to office much earlier to compensate for going off early. 

I still follow the Polar Training Program which is available and can be customised for Polar watch users.
There are days for running and there are days to strengthen my core and flexibility. Apart from what Polar "instructed", I also try to incorporate stairs workout once a week.

On weekdays, I find it easier to do my workouts before buka puasa. I usually have about an hour and I try to finish by 6:45pm. Weather condition permitting, that is.

On weekends, instead of going out for a late night run, I do it after Sahur. Yes, while fasting.

With a decreased intensity and following Polar training program, I'm currently on training at Zone 2 heart rate which is heart rate between 107 - 124 bpm for my long run sessions. It's perfectly doable for me and I don't need to drink even after my 2-hour session.

I do make sure that I drink enough during sahur though. And no, I didn't end up vegetating at home after my session, waiting for buka puasa. Indeed, I felt more refreshed and alert after my sessions.

There are still days when I couldn't do any workouts but at least for these past two weeks, I could make an effort to be somewhat consistent in following my training program. 

Everyone has a different approach towards training in Ramadan but I find this is what work best for me.

The main thing for me is, I get my training done and with no pressure about doing it. Plus I am enjoying my session so far.
I've cancelled my gym membership because I really didn't have the time to visit it nowadays and my workouts are mostly done around my apartment.

And that's what it looks like when I go around my apartment for two hours.

A friend had mentioned that my running route looks like a toilet bowl. It sure does! LOL

I also use my apartment's staircase for training and do a 30-40 minutes stairs workout session once a week.

I am indeed blessed that our apartment can actually enable me to train at odd-hours without worry.

And what I've somehow managed to register for so far:
30.06 Milo Breakfast Run
07.07 Hulu Langat Marathon
21.07 AXA Hearts in Action
28.07 Score Run
04.08 Saucony Run
23.08 The Magnificent Merapoh Trail
29.09 Standard Chartered KL Marathon

Comments

  1. I salute you for training during Ramadan! I read that training fasted has many benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really tabik you for training during fasting! workout before eating burns more so is more effective, that's what I read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts