Running The Furthest Distance Todate

and I did it at Newton Challenge on Sunday, Dec 30th 2012. A 25km run on very HILLY course. It's hill on hill course. You climb one hill, make a turn and then do another climb. Loooong climb. Repeat a few times throughout the course. @.@ *pant pant*

Slept early on Saturday; at 10pm and woke up bright and early at 2am. Had a big mug of coffee and two slices of bread with peanut butter for breakfast and took my time getting ready. We drove to the race site located in Bandar Kinrara at 4.40am and arrived there a few minutes before 5am. Nice...

Despite arriving early, you won't see me lining up at the start line early though! No No No
I had this scribbled on my left hand - my pace chart, in 3K increments. Target completion time : 3hours 10minute. Slow and easy (IF you are running on a flat route lah). 
The straggler. Last woman out, 4minutes after flag-off. But despite taking my time starting, I was still on "blur" mode.

I had switched off the GPS reading on my Timex and only realised it after running about 1km. Didn't want to reset it again so I ran without the distance shown on my watch. Then after 16minutes of running, I realised that I wasn't listening to songs. Dig into my pocket for my earphones and switching on the playlist on my phone. *so blur*

Felt good the first 14K and just ran with whatever pace that feels right. At certain stretches along the route, we were running in pitch-black darkness. Street lights weren't working at certain route.
See that red dot. That's the only thing we can see at certain stretches. It's the volunteers waving the red light-saber thingy to show us to route. 

Nothing much to say about race organisation - normal race organisation, nothing special. Though a bit weird that the 5th water station running out of cups and we had to resort to drinking from the 1.5ltr bottle. @.@

That is why folks, I always run holding my own water bottle. 

Anyhoo, THANK YOU to all race volunteers for forsaking their sleep to help us in the run. ^^
See? Bottle in hand. No water in there also I still hold on to it. Take back home, and send to recycling centre later. Hahaha

Anyways, after the 4th water station, I took turn between running and power-walking. Walk uphill and let loose going downhill. Can feel blisters forming from KM17 onwards but it wasn't too painful. Just one small bloody blister this time. Nothing like what I had when I did the CICM Run in November.

Eezard passed me somewhere around KM16 (I think) while I was walking and munching my Hammer chewies. Then, at the 7th water station (lost count lah, and brain was rather fuzzy at KM20 or so) Nannoor's husband Ib passed me. Then, at KM22, Farisha passed me pulak. Huhuhu

Despite getting passed by these people, I was still unwilling to push till it hurts so I just ran, picking up pace downhill and walking uphill. Lazy runner. I fully realised that I am a lazy racer. I am completely unwilling to exhaust myself and go all-out in a race. I need to rectify this. So need to. Hmmm....

To those who can push to the limits - you have my respect. Salute. Tabik. I can never (or won't) do that.
3hours 06min later (or at gun time, 3hours 10min later), I arrived to the finish line. I got to know that the route was under-distanced, instead of 25km, it was just 24K. A 3hour 06minutes for 24km would mean I ran at an average pace of 7:46/minute which is way slower than my intended pace of 7:36/minute. Shoot!

Arrived the finish line, beg for my medal (nobody seems to want to pass me a medal so I actually had to ask one of the volunteers to pass me a medal). Must be the bat ears. Hahaha Then, posing time!
Nick who were awesome with 2:36 despite having an ankle injury. Respect!
With fellow running gals, Nannoor & Farisha. Congrats on superb timing!
With running couple, Nannoor and her husband Ib.
With Eezard and Gus.
With Rashid, whom I first met during the MAKNA Run earlier this month. Congrats on the superb timing you did! :)

All in all, I had fun. Though feeling a bit bitter for not having the chance to eat any watermelon after finishing the run. No more watermelon for us late arrivals. I guess all kena sapu by the 12K runners and those fast 25K runners. Next time, must run faster to eat watermelon! Hahaha No milo van also. No free breakfast so buy own breakfast lor...
Fragrant nasi lemak with cockles. Calories out, calories in. Nyummm...

Next order of business - wash stinky clothes and iron Raimie's school uniform. He doesn't want to volunteer ironing them yet. ;p

Before I forgot - HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone! Who's doing LSD this New Year day? I'm planning to do a 21K. Maybe 21K run around the carpark? Imagine round and round the carkpark for 3 hours. kakaka

Comments

  1. Keep on running.... There is an old song in the 60's, I think - the Spencer Davis Group, if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look it up - that song. Not too knowledgeable about 60s songs except the Beatles. ;p

      Delete
    2. for sure that title is by chance, I won't expect Mak Rempinator to know that song.. 60s, Mak Rempinator still not even that worm and egg also lah, haha!!

      Delete
    3. Show how young I am, right? LOL

      Delete
    4. I kinda know the song..
      maybe when I was swimming that time.. lol

      Delete
  2. First sip is mine... 1st of all, CONGRATZ for completing your debut 25k run of this year Kak Lina... Full respect for your consistency... Really blown me away... Makan habuk Kak Lina je td... LOL! BatGirl really flew while running downhill.. Sooo fast... @..@

    Oh fyi, Your Boss Ultra Ray was looking for you when he met me this morning... I assumed u guys went back immediately after the post race photoshooting with all the star running bloggers... Ngeh2...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boss eksyen... takmo cari PA. PA susah nak carik dia, maklumla model iklan kan. HAHAHA

      Delete
  3. oit umpat ka? He he
    Congrats on completing Newton killer hills.
    Potong gaji PA mcm ni lah coz no photo wit me :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boss yang eksen, nak potong gaji PA lak. Sian PA gaji ciput tawww....

      PA siap tunggu kat depan start line nak wave kat Boss. ;p

      Delete
  4. Congrats and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Jamie. ^^

      Happy new year to you and family too.

      Delete
  5. Lina, well done!!!! "Furthest Distance To Date". That statement is just strong!

    I rasa kan, I pun lebih kurang macam lazy runner. Apart from ENR2012 yg I paksa diri habiskan race walaupun kaki sakit tak hingat, I can't recall any other races which I actually pushed myself. We do need to rectify this!

    LSD on 1 Jan? Putrajaya ke car park? Hehe. Hmm menarik jugak idea tu. :P
    Oh nasi lemak favourite I pun sambal kerang. High-5 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Klu ada yg sudi hantar, gi P'jaya la kot. Tapi kena make a point keluar awal dari selalu. Takleh biasa buat LSD start 8.30am. wakaka

      But then kan, sebab dah biasa alri 8.30am, tadi kat Newton rasa nyaman gila je. Siap nyanyi2 lagi. Wakaka

      Yes, yes, kena belajar push diri untuk improve. Tapi... tak suka suffer masa race. Camno tu? ^^!

      Hi-5 utk citarasa yang sama! Lunch apa?

      Delete
  6. Ur time almost like me...3hours and 9minutes...

    Not as my target...

    Are u join tomorrow 7km and 5km on the Dataran Merdeka(Larian 1 Malaysia)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope.

      Just doing a 12K run on Sunday at MPIB. Cannot go crazy and enter all races. :)

      Delete
  7. Hi K Lina,

    My very 1st pic in ur blog, thanks hehehe. Congrats to both of us, dapat habiskan all the bukit dengan jayanya. Look forward to seeing you in any running event next year ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kekeke

      Again, congrats on your awesome run.

      I kena berguru dengan you lah lepas ni. To improve speed and endurance. ^^

      When is your next run? :)

      Delete
    2. My next run is Chap Ayam Relay Fun Run. Dragon Back after that.
      Btw I don't have specific training plan huhuhu. However, starting next year which is tomorrow ;) I'm planning to do tempo, hill training etc. Inspired by ur blog actually hehehe. Need to learn more.

      Delete
    3. All the best with the two back-to-back races. 13hb & 20hb kan?

      Following a plan works for me sbb klu x, alamatnya x berdisplin la. :-)

      Here's to us and running in 2013! :-)

      Delete
  8. Congrats on your furthest distanced race! It wasn't an easy one and you did good.

    You're right, after the 3 hour mark, the volunteers giving out the medals were totally horrible. Most people had to ask for their medals.

    All the best in the new year and on your FM quest in May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick! You were more awesome. An injured ankle and still a good timing. :)

      So I wasn't alone not being handed with the medal immediately. Phew. I thought I smell bad or something. LOL

      Maybe they got tired waiting for us slow poke they kinda zone out. Hahaha

      Will do my best to train well for the event in May. :)

      Delete
  9. Wow! You wanna do 21km? I suggest you get SP to accompany you to run around the park which he goes every Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure SP will accompany me ah? Maybe he does one loop then want to go eat breakfast already! hahaha

      or ogle at sexy joggers. ;)

      Delete
    2. Mak Rempinator is sexy enough for SP.. he likes to see BBW running.. :D

      Delete
    3. He likes Hot Mama more. ;p

      Delete
    4. I need to exercise more..
      I could feel that my fats are growing..

      Delete
    5. SP,
      Like that, depan or belakang also can ah? ^_~

      Delete
    6. Muahahaha! You said already, he's bi.

      Delete
  10. So you had a 25km hilly run. Your metabolism rate must be good and strong la. Keeps you slim and in good shape always!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could not even guess what was the distance of my recent hike in China across several peaks but it was almost 8 hours walking and climbing up and down. Tonight another friend has expressed interest to follow Letchumi to climb the 99 peaks in China next year. I can see clouds of suffering ahead.

    Happy New Year Lina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy suffering on 99 peaks in 2013 Anay!

      Come do training in Putrajaya. Taman Wawasan has a lot of stairs you can practise climbing, so does Taman Canseri. :)

      Happy new year to you and Letchumi.

      Delete
    2. 8 hours of walking and climbing but I think Anay took 4 hours to rest!!

      Delete
    3. annay you need to start training..
      perhaps go and climb KK?

      Delete
    4. Go climb the steps at Batu Caves enough la :-D

      Anyway, Anay already climb up Mount Kinabalu dy, right? :-)

      Delete
  12. running the furthest distance.. and, hmmm, is this also the longest posts also?? haha..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. being a good and honest boy.. I must confess.. I just read till your scribbled hand, then scroll to see the photos, and then the nasi lemak caught my eyes and I read the last sentence above it.. hahahaha!! :D

      Delete
    2. but I read the comments.. those shorthand comments in Malay, haiyoyo so deep lah, Thambee tarak paham at all!!! @_@"

      Delete
    3. Ah boy,
      All my race recaps are long what. This is not the longest one. Taiping one lagi panjang! hahaha

      At least you skimmed lah. I think only runners will read race reports word by word. ;)

      Which shorthand comment yang so deep? Mana? ;)

      Delete
    4. I read all the words, but can't understand half of it. Runner's term. I'm very dummy on running.

      Thought this gadis is going to cheap in her exam, scribbling answers on her hand. Read read, it's the target timing (?).

      Delete
  13. Congratulation! Completing this route alone is never an easy task and you did it nicely according your planned time.

    Happy New Year and it is always great to celebrate with a long run. But running 3 hours in the car park is really tough :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neoh. :-)

      But maybe if I did more running than walking that day, I would meet the targeted 7:30 pace. :-D

      Happy New Yesr to you and family too. See you next week! :-)

      Delete
  14. \(^o^)~≪☆♪*CONGRATULATIONS*♪☆≫~(^o^)/

    Pink and red and polka dots and bat ears. Totally love it. :D

    Happy 2013, jungle woman! Keep running, keep writing! Thanks for all the smiles throughout 2012.

    PS: You're going to run on New Year's Day itself? Err. OK. I'll be lazy on your behalf too. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure you are going to be lazy and not gallivanting somewhere totally insecure even the locals don't know about it?

      Yeah, right? :-D

      Happy new year. Enjoy Sky Tree and all it's New Year celebration glory tonight. :-)

      Delete
  15. Well done dear,let us push a little harder next year,run more runs,breaking more PBs,and enjoy every minutes of,pain,sweat,agony and finally triumph yaa,,,

    hey here wishing you a great 2013, a year of great runs,a year of great joy,a year of abundant health and a great year of great fun ,,,,,salam diucapkan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's to us pushing ourselves to be better next year, Eugene! :)

      Happy new year!

      Delete
  16. lina, 2013, you keep on running, I will keep on running on threadmil too. It always wasn't easy to run in the first 15 minuites. After a while, it wasn't easy to stop too. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like to go to gym as often as possible, some times it is permitted. I need to do revision with not only one, but two in primary school now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best for both mommy and the two girls for the coming school year. :)

      Delete
  18. Very GOod Timing wpun lazy runner.. congrats kak lina.. great job!! hehehe..
    what? carpark running fo 21km? oh my! I buat 16lap kat stadium for 40minits pon dah saiko ...
    Hepi New Year to you too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tenkiu tenkiu ^^

      Tak lama lagi makan asap uols la... Nannoor pun dah pasang enjin turbo sekarang. ;p

      My record for carpark running is 2hours. heh heh

      Tambah lagi 30-40min je kalau buat half-marathon keliling carpark. keskeskes

      I think bukan I yang saiko. Pak Guard yang saiko tengok I! Bwahaha

      Delete
  19. Happy new year, Lina rempinator! May you have a marvelous year ahead with more running and grrr grrr grrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Yvonne!

      May you have more grrr ggrrrr action too! Hahaha

      Delete
  20. can't help laughing at the blur sotong mode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the putch dark photo reminds me of SK's post about the robot waving flag in the middle of the night ...hhmmmm next time organiser put a robot there la...maybe will make you terkejut till you zooomed like the cartoon road runner beep beep :p

      Delete
    2. Cannot put robot to us runners. Some of us might be blur sotong and got shocked and have a heart attack pulak seeing those robots! Hahaha

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts