Lari Suka-Suka

or you can call it, "just for the heck-of-it" kinda run. I had no expectation of a "happening" race, joining the 1 Vision Run KL 2012 at Padang Merbok instead of the more popular, better publicised, much hyped World Kidney Run that was held on the same date and at a venue very near (Dataran Merdeka, if you must know) to this 1 Vision Run.

I am still not familiar with this popular race route in KL and the reason I entered this race was to familiarise myself with this hilly route. Hills, I certainly experienced a LOT yesterday!

We got there rather early at 6.30am (early by my standard that is) and I remarked how hardcore some runners are, already making their runs around the Lake Garden. Zaini just remarked dryly that I should marvel at the people who aren't running but still needs to wake up early on weekends (meaning him and Raimie) instead of those runners! LOL

By way of warm-up, I walked and jogged from our parking spot at the playground  at Lake Garden to Padang Merbok and back simply because the toilet at Padang Merbok wasn't open yet. I mentioned this is previous race posts, I need my toilet visit before the start of a race. Without fail. Good thing the toilet at the Herb Garden was already open. Imagine running with a full bladder. @.@
The Run was very much a small scale event and started rather quietly without much fanfare. Too quiet perhaps, that traffic was still allowed to go through the starting line that had runners already lining up to be flagged off. It is one thing that the organisers and traffic police didn't block the road yet, but it is another when motorists still force their way through a huge group of people and insisting their right of way. Ah well...
Follow the sea of red. That was my plan as I have absolutely no idea the route I was supposed to run. The World Kidney Run would be a "follow-sea-of-blue". It's important to distinguish this as both Runs had routes that collide at some point. Saw a fellow daily miler and waved hello to him at the starting line. Hi Kah Yen! ^^

I tried not to over-exert myself and since I had no idea how far I was running and what my running pace was that morning; I just ran without pushing too hard too early. I only pushed myself towards the last km, at the point where 1 Vision runners who were doing 10k and the World Kidney runners (3k and 7k?) converged and shared the same route. I guess by that time, it was already rather too late to do good timing for my run. No problem. I enjoyed my run despite the pain in one of my toes and the pain of a forming blister in my right foot. I used my much narrower Nike LunarGlide and not the wider Brooks Glycerin for this run because I like the firm feel and lightness of the LunarGlide but boy, this shoes of mine certainly can't take me far. No more than 8k. Anymore than that, I feel a blister coming. Guess this can used as a perfect excuse to get a new pair of shoes? No? xD

Apart from the glitch in traffic control at the starting line, the rest of the route had excellent traffic control, in my opinion. It was an experience for me to be running by the expressway with vehicles zipping by. I have to say I enjoyed this route a lot and definitely look forward tackling it again in the future.

Nearing to the first water station, saw a blogger and Ultra-Woman (she did a 50k solo run at The North Face Thailand. Respect!); Aini and hollered hello to her. But in my woozy state of mind, I called out her friend's name instead of hers. Sorry Aini! She totally left me in the dust after that. Boohooo!

No finishing photo of me this time because Raimie and Zaini wasn't expecting me to arrive so soon. In fact, they were just walking towards Padang Merbok again after spending time walking at Lake Garden (which I think is 500m away from the starting line?) when I called them after finishing my run.
No finish line photo with Raimie this time, because Daddy and Son weren't there to greet me (bummer!), just a photo of Raimie playing with my medal while waiting for me freshen up at the toilet. As usual, I was soaking wet with sweat despite the cooling weather and shady route we had.
The red t-shit that I'll be using to wear while mucking around the house - it's those soft cotton t-shirt and the very ummmmm looking medal.

And just now, I realised that I have something to brag about.
Exhibit 1 - my bib number
and here's the result for Women Veteran category, courtesy of Penonton :
Can you see the D011 placing? Zaini just pooh-poohed the result by asking me how many Women veteran runner were actually running that day. Whatever. ;p

Didn't get or claimed the prize because I had no idea until a few hours ago. The finish line, the medal stall and the rest were a bit of a mess, I was lucky I can actually find my way to where I was supposed to collect my medal! A fellow lady runner asked me where she was suppose to report to after the run since the MC kept on reminding us to report and get our placing but I have absolutely no idea where we were supposed to go to. So I just went back looking for my husband and son at the carpark. xD

Comments

  1. Hahaha this was quite interestingly funny to read! :p

    Hmmm, first of all, I had a full bladder in a car trip and we couldn't stop because we were so close to the destination! Haha. Well, it was a sort of work trip so I couldn't be selfish. But as soon as we reached the destination, I ran to the toilet like a rude person ahahaha :p

    And, hahaha, you had no idea of quite a lot of things! :p So, you went to look your husband and son instead of finding where you were supposed to report after the run? You should have asked other runners around or followed where the lady went :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, it was just a suka-suka run for me so I didn't bother too much about theroute, the organizer.... I just wanted to run with likeminded people. I got that and more! ;p

      Delete
  2. DO11 got 10th place? Did my veteran eyes see the veteran's position correctly? ^^ Heh. You really can't count. Shouldn't DO11 come 11th?

    OK, I see, you really can't read maps. So when I'm your shitamachi guide, I'll carry a flag like the Japanese guides do and you just follow that! :D

    Congratulations for doing so well in a "lari suka-suka" race! (Grin. Sukkel-sukkel in Afrikaans means struggling, blundering, bungling, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why should I be demoted to 11? ;p It should totally be no 1, twice! LOL

      I never bother about maps so I never really look at race route maps. I just run following the pack. xD

      Don't you dare carry around the flag! Carry it,and I'll make sure you run with me to all 33 edo temple thingy!

      I must say, sukke-sukkel fits what I do during my runs pretty well. ;)

      Delete
  3. Good job and congrats on the 10th placing. Doesn't matter how many veteran runners were running, coming in 10th is a big deal!

    I'm giving most 10K races a miss this year cos I really don't feel like waking up so early and have to drive so far away that will take me about 55 minutes or less to run the 10K, unless a few select one la ... hehehe!

    But good job all the same :D You doing ENR, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, doing the ENR. :)

      I'm giving up on races that is less than 10K this year. hihihi

      But before going all out on HM or FM, Zaini "urged" me to conquer the 10K first. Sub-60 minutes 10krun seems so far away!!!!

      Delete
  4. Congrats for making to top 10, Lina!

    I'm kinda old to run for women open category, can't win the young and energetic ladies. Maybe I should train up myself for these few years and enroll into veteran category soon :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne! ^^

      I always tell Zaini that Veteran category is way "scarier" than the Open category. If kena beat by younger women, still got excuse. But kena beat by older women? Malu owh!

      And anyway, Veteran category runners are a force to reckon with since they had been running for ages! They are hardcore! @.@

      p.s. Of course, myself not included in that hardcore statement lah. hehe

      Delete
  5. Lina,

    Finally i meet you :P

    Congrats for making top 10, you are soo laju!! eh no worries, i feel so bad for not be able to bersembang dengan you semalam. So what's next? Hope to see you again soon, wajib amik gambar lepas ni okay.

    Aini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time, I panngil your correct name! ^^!

      Where got laju. After naik the bukit lepas the water station, you totally left me in the dust! Nak kejar pun tak larat. Strong giler you go up hills. :)

      Delete
  6. Congrats!! By the way tell ur hubby many runners in veteran category are actually faster than open category lol ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KJ,
      Hahaha betul jugak kan? *agree Lina sambil mengembangkan lubang hidungnya*

      kikiki

      Delete
  7. Congratulation! Your pace is catching up, my BP for 10k is still 64 minutes. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neoh. Following the training plan is sure giving results. :)

      Delete
  8. hahaha!! i like your hubby, so humorous!! don't marvel those who wake up to run, but marvel at those who wake up to make company for those who are running!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I actually marvel at his willingness to send me places at such early morning. :)

      And then, have to wait some more for me to finish. ^^

      Delete
  9. wow, so meaning you were in the top 10 of the category!! aiyah, don't bother how many runners in total in the category lah, but being in top 10 is good right?? but too bad you don't get any extra other than the finisher medal huh??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, top 10 got cash prizes + position medal but since I didn't know - I didn't collect my prize lor....

      Delete
  10. hahaha, it's wise to wear a red top running around in your neighbourhood.. especially when you choose to do that before dawn, it's a lot better than wearing all white, wakakakaka~~ :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually wear white running vest for my weekend neighbourhood run. I run with my pink vest in races. ;)

      Delete
  11. wow awesome 10th place is a big thing ok.
    And no, a sub 60 is totally doable.
    With training, of course and your diligence,you should get there in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha memang totally unexpected to get that 10th place, sampaikan tak check pun placing, lepas lari terus balik hari tu. huhuhu

      Will definitelymemancitkan diri utk aim for that sub-60!

      Delete
  12. 1 hour 7 minutes? Gulp! And here I am, at only 20+, completed my run in 1 hour 25 mins (and I thought I did good! ciss) ahahaha.

    Congrats Lina, you are certainly a fast runner, top 10 some more! while for me, I enjoyed the route very much, and will just try my best to forget how lousy the organiser was -_-"

    (And no, I did not see you; I am terrible at recognising faces like that. Do you always run in pink vest tho? Will try to spot you next time, God willing :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1hr 25 mins okay what! I hari tu, larian tak sengaja cepat je tu. keskeskes.

      The route was rather nice kan? Yeah, don't want to say much about the organiser and the race event itself. I put a low expectation about that and just wanted to have an enjoyable run. That I got so I'm happy. ;)

      Yes, I almost always (make that 99%) wearmy pink running vest. Unless I wanted to make a point to stand out and the official running vest of the run happen to be pink - then I'll change colour. ;)

      Delete
  13. eh eh. erma here :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lina, hehe....Well done on your 10th placing.
    ky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kah Yen!

      It must be my lucky day because I managed to say hi to you before the run. :)

      And thanks. It was a surprise indeed to get that placing!

      Delete
  15. Wow! You're placing now?! Good going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. :)

      But it's a small scale run.Just about 1,000 runners entered. Probably one-off thing for me. LOL

      Delete
  16. Congrats, Lina! Sounds like you had fun too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts