Q&A WITH MOHD AMRAN ABDUL GHANI, THE BRAVE AND COURAGEOUS FIREFIGHTER WHO NEVER GIVES UP

Mohd Amran Abdul Ghani was born in Kg Tok Burung, Bachok, Kelantan. He is an active athlete for the Selangor Fire Fighter Departments. He is currently working at the Fire and Rescue Department, Malaysia at Bukit Jelutong, Selangor since 2001.

Adhering to the Fire and Rescue ethics, and working with a dedicated, efficient and disciplined team, he is determined to his best for his department, in order to be successful and well known throughout Malaysia, and worldwide.

Mohd Amran’s best achievement so far was when he was crowned as the Best Malaysian 2014 and 2015 IRONMAN 70.3 Putrajaya, and Best Malaysian at 2014 and 2016 IRONMAN Malaysia. IRONMAN is an internationally recognized triathlon that consists of 3.8km swimming, 180km cycling and 42km running. During his first attempt at full IRONMAN in 2014, he was very proud of his achievement because he was able to complete the race in 10 hours and 15 minutes. Moreover, he managed to accomplish this while working full time and training part-time, proving his ability to push past his limits and strive for further achievements.

One of his dream is to qualify for the IRONMAN World Championship in Kona, Hawaii, USA. ͞It would be an honor to represent Malaysia on the world stage, and to race alongside great IRONMAN athletes͟, said Mohd Amran. He is lucky to have amazing and strong support system from his family and workplace. He believes that all the time spent with his family and career is the key to his success over the years.
MOHD AMRAN’S ACHIEVEMENTS TO-DATE

  • Best Malaysian 2014 and 2016 IRONMAN Malaysia
  • Best Malaysian 2014 and 2015 IRONMAN 70.3 Putrajaya 
  • 6-time Best Sportsman for SUKBOM (Sukan Bomba) 
  • Qualified and represented Malaysia for The World Police and Fire Games (WPFG) in 2007

The Basics 
Full name: Mohd Amran Abdul Ghani
Place of Birth: Kg Tok Burung, Bachok, Kelantan
Date of Birth: 30 March 1980
Occupation : Fireman

Without further ado, here is the Q&A with Mohd Amran!

When did your passion for triathlon begun?
MA: I was a runner previously but it didn’t give me the satisfaction and mental and physical strength that I was looking for. That’s when I decided to join triathlon as triathlon gives me the adrenaline feeling that I was looking for.

What is your first triathlon event? 
MA: My first triathlon is IRONMAN Malaysia in 2004. 

How does your career as a fireman helps in preparing yourself for IRONMAN? 
MA: My status as a full-time fireman is not an obstacle for me. I am very lucky that that the Fire and Rescue Department of Malaysia, especially my department is very supportive and always cheering for me whenever I compete in any triathlon event especially an event like IRONMAN.

What is your greatest strength? 
MA: There are three (3) disciplines in triathlon; swimming, cycling and running. All 3 disciplines require balance combination. I would say my greatest strength is within cycling and running. 

How do you handle stress and pressure? 
MA: The stress and pressure are really high in triathlon especially when you have won the IRONMAN Malaysia Best Malaysian category 2 years in a row. Everyone from your family to your office and sponsors are counting for you to deliver your best at all times. That’s why I believe the best way to deal with the stress and pressure is making sure that I get plenty of rest and eat a balanced and healthy diet in order to help me recover from the vigorous training. 

What is/ is your greatest accomplishment as an athlete? 
MA: I was crowned as the IRONMAN Malaysia Best Malaysian in 2014 and 2016, IRONMAN Putrajaya 70.3 Best Malaysian in 2014 and 6-time Sportsman for Sukan Bomba Malaysia and qualified to compete and represent Malaysia at The World Police and Fire Games (WPFG) in 2007.

What excites you the most about your career as an athlete? 
MA: Besides the satisfaction that I get from competing in the triathlon, I get to meet and make friends with people from different background. I can also make friend with people from the international level. 

What is the biggest challenge in participating in IRONMAN? 
MA: For me, the biggest challenge is to be mentally and physically prepared as well as strengthening my inner strength, especially during the long hours. I hope that everything goes well during the championship. 

Who/what inspires you the most in participating in a triathlon? 
MA: Of course, my main inspiration is my beloved family. They have always been there for me since I first started triathlon. They are my motivation in giving me the drive to do my best in every triathlon that I have participated. I am very thankful for my family especially to my wife who understands my passion as an athlete. 

What is your advice to people who wants to try triathlon? 
MA: Triathlon is a sporting event that combines 3 discipline; swim, run and bike. For those who wants to try triathlon, I would suggest that you start with IRONMAN 70.3 first. Then, once you’ve accustomed to the distances, you can start doing the full IRONMAN.

Now, are you excited yet for IRONMAN Malaysia happening in Langkawi, coming to us on Nov 17, 2018?

Comments

Popular Posts