Weekend Training

All three of us agreed  that Raimie needs to "train" with Mommy in anticipation of any upcoming races that Mommy might have wanted to register for him. He is already registered for a 700m kids dash in June at Standard Chartered KL Marathon. The starting time of the kids dash should motivate Mommy into running a sub 2:30 timing for the half-marathon, to make sure that Mommy can be there when he start his run. Too idealistic? We'll just have to train for it and try! ^^

I procrastinate long enough to be too late to register him for a 5K fun run at Energizer Night Race. But we'll see what other races there will be for kids his age that don't need school participation in the future. Maybe run a 3K costumed fun run during NTV7 Feel Good Run? \(~o~)/

On Sunday we went to Taman Tasik Cempaka in Bangi for the "training". We thought we might as well travel there, get some fresh air, sweat a little bit and then head to a nearby Pasar Tani (farmer's market) and buy Nasi Ambeng.
Ready, Set, Go!
There are distance markers at this park, and every 100m is marked. A loop around the path on the park where the library is, is 1400m.

I used this park to calibrate my new Nike+ Sportband that I got as a replacement for my old, faulty one. I had been worried that it might not register the correct distance, but after comparing it against the distance markers here, I'm happy to note I got nothing to worry about. My Nike+ Sportband registered the correct distance after all.
We did a 2K warm-up walk first and wasted a bit of time looking for a working toilet at the park. Mommy needs her toilet visit!

Raimie and I ran side-by-side for 1K before we stopped. He was such a trooper. Next week, we'll try a bit farther, OK?

Then, to finish off I made another loop alone while Raimie rested with Daddy.
Overall, the park there is nice. Plenty of shades. Plenty of flat spaces (grass and concrete), nice pavements. There is even a futsal court there and a skate ramp. It is clean too. But general amenities are lacking. There are buildings where the toilets should be, but they were rundown and neglected. The only toilet I can find was near the PKNS building. 30sen an entry! @.@ But there is a shower facility there, if you need that.

Other options for toilets would be going to the PKNS building or McD.
As a reward for Raimie and motivate him to train again with Mommy next week, we went to McD. Two visits in a week! He got his doctor Spongebob on Friday and today he got dessert chef Spongebob.
After breakfast, we're off to Pasar Tani! Nope, weren't looking for fresh fish, fresh meat or veges but we were there for Nasi Ambeng.
Raimie whispered to his Dad about wanting a football jersey, a Harimau Muda jersey to be exact. But somehow, he chose this instead after browsing through some jerseys for sale at the Pasar Tani.

A 1K non-stop run, another Spongebob toy (plus another McD visit of course!) and a new set of clothes. Great Sunday for the boy, don't you agree? (゜o゜)

Comments

  1. Raimie has had a haircut, too, no? Less wind resistance? ;)

    So ... nasi means rice? I know nasi goreng (that's popular in SA too) and I've heard of nasi kucing, so all that nasi-ing can only mean rice. Right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New haircut for school, after a week of holiday. Can't keep hair too long because long hair = indiscipline here.

      Nasi is rice. Cooked rice. Uncooked rice is beras. Before that, rice is padi in sawah (paddy fields). ;p

      What on earth is Nasi Kucing? @.@

      We have Nasi Ayam here which is rice with chicken. Not rice given to chicken as food. kekeke

      Delete
    2. Nasi kucing - the stuff I had in Cape Town - is very small portions of rice + fish or rice + tempeh. Maybe it's a southern thing? :)

      Look what I found when I Googled sawah:

      "Sawah" (Arabic: سوّاح‎) (meaning wanderer in Arabic)

      Rurousha = sawah in Arabic! :D

      What exactly is the difference between padi and sawah? Padi is the rice itself and sawah is the field?

      Enjoy school, Raimie! Top marks again, ne! ^^

      Delete
    3. But kucing? Kucing is cat in Malay. Cape town cats eat like that too? ;p

      Padi and sawah : yup! You got it right. Sawah padi = rice field. :)

      Rurousha in Japan. Sawah in Arabic. Kelana in Malay. :)

      Oh gawd! We just received his test results. Absolutely atrocious! 45% for his "karangan" or Malay composition paper! @.@

      Delete
    4. Yes yes yes! I've heard it's called a "cat portion" because it's a very small portion. More like a snack than a meal. So kucing is cat? I didn't know that! I should've added 2 and 2, but hey, I'm a language teacher, not a maths teacher, lah. :D

      So paddy comes from padi? Don't you love language? ^^

      Swerwer in Afrikaans. Difficult to explain that pronunciation!

      45%? Oops. Maybe a few more storybooks in Malay might help? Good writing starts with good reading.

      Delete
    5. I wish he reads more.

      Its funny... When I was little and had no support for my reading habit, I managed to beg, borrow and steal to get my hands on books.

      In his case, Mommy is ever willing to buy him any books he wants and what does he get? Comic books and drawing books.
      xD

      Delete
    6. Methinks comic books are better than playing rugby the whole time! :-P Heh. What sport do young boys in Malay obsess about? Soccer?

      Funny how a love of reading seems to be inborn rather than cultivated. We are three sisters. Oldest reads a lot, but only serious literature. Middle one doesn't read, not even magazines. Youngest (me) reads everything, compulsively, from academic stuff to mass-market junk.

      PS: I always think it must be quite a challenge to allow a child to pursue his own interests ...

      Delete
    7. Oh! I don't know. I'm always in the opinion of we all should all experience a bit of roughing once in a while. xD

      Football is of course very popular. Badminton too. Basketball...

      I always have this notion that I can pass down my books to my child. Wrong gender. Absolutely different interest.

      Yes! It is a challenge to just let the child pursue his/her own interest. If only the interest is mutual. Life would be easier. ^^

      But I learnt my lesson. I studied what I actually hated to please my parents. Didn't do much good. I'm trying to balance between pushing and understanding my one and only child.

      p.s. I actually would love Raimie to be a cartoonist or be in a band or be involved in performing arts. Why? Because that's what I wanted to be growing up. ;p

      Delete
    8. I have no problem with roughing up; it's RUGBY that horrifies me. That, by the way, is blasphemy for a South African, but I really think it's got to be the most boring sport in the world. Except possibly synchronized swimming, which is very popular in Japan. Right, now that I've insulted both my countries, let's move on.

      So it's like mother, like son after all? ^^ If Raimie becomes a cartoonist, you can all move to Japan!

      Delete
    9. Why does your live traffic feed say I come from Chiba? Nooo! Shitamachi!

      I guess my ISP's servers or rooters or whatever are in Chiba. Hmph.

      Delete
    10. Rugby boring?

      Cricket isn't big in SA, I suppose? That gotta be the most boring one for me *says someone who actually likes to watch billiard matches* hohoho

      Cartoonist in the making - move to Japan and be a manga illustrator, you mean? ;)

      Delete
    11. Chiba visitor? I always wondered about that. But then I got used to it and know that Chiba visitor must be the Jungle lady from South Africa who now lives in the shitamachi. ;)

      Delete
  2. wow, isn't it fun to have somebody to train together with you instead of running all alone??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Training with somebody needs me to not be selfish. Give and take. ;p

      Delete
  3. i think this really motivates raimie to train again with you for the next time huh.. McD and spongebob and a new jersey as his reward, wow, so is there gonna be a greater expectation next week??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not! I hope that he likes training because he can enjoy fresh air and gets to play outdoors. ;)

      Those stuff are just incentives for being a good boy. Gotta earn it. ;p

      Delete
  4. next week will be the Supersponge!! yeah, i am going to get it on Thursday, hehe~~ :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alamak! I hope that won't go out of stock on Friday!

      Delete
  5. why only a great sunday for both the boys?? the gadis also had a great sunday what~~ :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gadis didn't get to do her long run Sunday to enjoy the Sunday morning with hubby and son.

      Could have woken up earlier and did it before going to the park, but I sure ain't waking up too early on Sunday! ;p

      Delete
  6. Wow! What a workout! All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can do it! I still can't reach sub 2hr30mins yet. I did mine in 2hrs40ish mins. I think coz my legs tend to break when reach certain distance that I ended up walking. I shall improve for SCKLM! XD I'm excited. Just hope it won't be all jelly after BIM Full marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best at BIM.

      You can do it! :)

      Delete
  8. Wait, nasi ambeng is sort of nasi lemak??

    *looking at food first, glutton :p*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nasi Ambeng is a dish popular with the Jawa community and usually eaten in a "dulang"/round tray - and by communal eating at kenduris. Everyone eats from the same "dulang".

      But of course, there's individual packing on sale lah, like Nasi Lemak.

      Ingredients include chicken masak kicap, serunding kelapa, tempe, salted fish, soohun and sambal goreng. Yummy!

      They are better than Nasi Lemak! :)

      Delete
  9. My Sunday would be perfect too, if I get to shed some weight, tone some muscle and get bribed with 2 McD spongebob and a favourite jersey :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...

      Ask your kids to bribe you for a change. xD

      Delete
  10. So heart-warming! Mother and son running together! Great training for Raimie. He could be the future marathon runner, having been trained since a young age. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just happy he's enjoying the outdoors! ^^

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Haircut following school's regulations. Cannot have long hair at school! ;p

      Delete
  12. Cool! MU outfit for Raimie. There'd be more to come. Trust me. ;)

    Finally got myself a SpongeBob, the doc one.

    Zaini not joining you to make it an Awesome Threesome?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Zaini joins, who's gonna be the support crew?

      Zaini is doing awesome on that. Holding drinks, looking after Raimie, taking photos. ^^

      Delete
  13. I bet you can run without out of breath kan?

    hahaha I use to see this jurulatih run like a tank without out of breath, so professional lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where got!

      You can hear me breathing heavily a mile away!

      LOL

      Delete
  14. Train me Train me! hahaha I can run and sprint for 5 second only lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do sprints lah.

      I run. Very slowly. Come come. Can always join me. :)

      Delete
  15. wooaahhh..seriously u trained ur son? another runner in the making I must say:) btw looking at ur training really freaking me out..havent really prepare myself for next KL run..scarry!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts