Spicy Rice Cakes

Everytime I think about Korean food, it's not kimchi that comes into the mind first; although I do so adore kimchi. It's tubokki or spicy rice cakes that will make drool.
How do I enjoy them?

Three ways.

1. Easiest

Head to the nearest or your favourite Korean restaurant and order some. My favourite place happens to be Ko Hyang at Gardens Mall. Eye-tearingly spicy tubokki served there. Quite affordably priced too.

2. Almost instant cooking
By buying a ready made paste. Chuck in the garaetuk (those cylindrical shaped rice cakes) in a pan, then chuck in the sauce and whatever ingredients you fancy or follow whatever were put inside at your favourite Korean place.

3. Cooking from (almost) scratch

Making it is relatively simple. But if you don't cook Korean food that much, I guess the instant paste would be better and more economical.
For me, apart from kimchi, there's always a tub of gochujang (and doenjang) in the fridge. Have gochujang, you can cook anything that is in semblance of Korean food, that's how I feel! hahaha

To make tubokki, you need :
Garaetuk (cylindrical shaped rice cakes)
Onion - cut into 4 or 6. Well, big slices. I like onions so I tend to put one big sliced onions
Some veges - carrots, spring onion and cabbages for me
Fish cakes
Garlic (you seriously are not cooking Korean food if you don't have garlic in it) ;p
Sugar (though I favour honey)
and of course, sesame seed

Cooking them is easy. Stir-fry onions and veges for a while. Put gochujang in a pan/pot, water and let it boil then add sugar(or honey) to taste. Chuck your already soft garaetuk and veges into the pan and let it mix and simmer for a while. Serve hot.

Disclaimer : if you do intend to cook them, I suggest you look up at the recipe elsewhere and not refer to mine. I'm from the "let's chuck everything" and see how it turns out kinda cooking school. Pretty much cooking to get similar taste to what I've eaten before rather than following a specific recipe, word by word.

Zaini pretty much suffers when I start dabbling into new things to cook! Poor guy. ^^! That's why he is wary when I wanted to cook new things. LOL

Comments

  1. Your rice cakes bring me fondest memories! When I lived in the boarding dorms in US, no cooking allowed but my Korean buddies made steamboat every night in their room. It was Kim Chi and rice cakes plus other throw-ins like your style which the hopeless mama's boys tried to experiment. We all had tummy aches so frequently as they downed their Korean whiskey after that. So poisonous food with alcohol like fire!!!!! OMG! I survived all their holocaust cookings!

    Muahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, korean whiskey with all the spicy korean food?? no wonder anay was so skinny that time, because always poo-poo after those holocaust cooking~~ :D

      Delete
    2. So SK... dare to try that diet or not? Sure slim one... since everything get purged out afterwards! LOL

      Delete
  2. I believe your recipe is okay and easy for me to try!! I love Korean food a lot. I am good at making their Kim Chi Jigae and even used their fat instant noodles to fry our Mamak Mee Goreng with eggs! The Koreans were shocked in disbelief to see their burnt noodles in my wok..... They loved it like hell and kept asking me to Goreng!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay!! anay, show them the colors of malaysian cooking!! sure they never have tried anything as nice as our maggi mee goreng..

      Delete
    2. If I'm cooking Korean themed meals, kimchi jigae is a must too!

      TM - share your secret recipe with us! ^^

      Korean mee, fried Malaysian style. Fusion! ;p

      Delete
  3. wow, unbelievable!! this gadis is teaching the bloggers to cook!! hahahaha..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. something different to post this time lor... ;p

      Delete
    2. It's something out of ordinary XD

      She's usually in her running gears and Japanese food :p

      Delete
    3. Last time, this kind of post went into my other blog. ;p

      Delete
  4. but that plate of korean rice cake actually looks nice, and looks like it is some real korean cooking too.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. rice cake!! at first i thot you are talking about the japenese rice cake, those cookies style rice cake..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that one mochi...

      BTW, don't use mochi as a substitute. Mochi is too soft for this. ;)

      Delete
  6. sometimes the english words really caused confusion lah.. for another instance, carrot cake.. what have you got in mind?? the westerners sweet pastries, or the chinese savory carrot cake?? haha~~

    ReplyDelete
  7. i would have thought you have 70% chances to try option 1, 25% to try option 2, and lastly 5% to try option 3..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If really got 5% opted for no. 3, that would be WoW! ;p

      Delete
  8. woo..spicy..I can't take it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tubokki is definitely not for those who can't tolerate spiciness.

      Delete
    2. last time my sister bought me tubokki, i dont where at mid valley, it doesnt taste spicy at all, it taste sweet, i really want to taste the SPICY tubboki, huhuuh

      Delete
    3. Maybe the cook put in too much sugar that time? ;p

      Delete
  9. like wenn, i think a lot of ipoh ppl can't take spicy food...

    ReplyDelete
  10. but when i met with my wife I have intensive training of eating spicy stuff ...
    coz she is a spicy food lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and you "trained" because you love her and enjoy the food with her? So sweet. ^^

      Delete
  11. But I am still not very good in eatig spicy food..
    once makan .. I will begin to rain (sweating) & head will be itchy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. means training still not complete yet!


      Train eat spicy food more, SP! kekeke

      Delete
  12. I'm no fan of Korean food.... so I have no idea what is rice cake~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with Yvonne on this one. Chocolate photo, please! :D

      Delete
    2. What? Should I snap photos of my Patchi & Godiva stash?

      Or snickers & kit-kat for you? hehe

      Delete
  13. Also, I don't enjoy kimchi... there's something about it I can't get used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this one doesn't have kimchi at all.

      Delete
  14. Initially thought the picture above shows hot and spicy yong tau foo, hahah~!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tobokki is kinda like yong tau foo. If you use the red sauce only. ;p

      It's street food. :)

      Delete
  15. Eye-tearing? I sure can't take that~ My "hotness" level is not that high yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's soooo spicy yet soooo addictive. ;p

      Try lah. Let all sweat come out. keke

      Delete
  16. hi there, i really like your blog.
    can i ask u something, where i can find the rice cake paste..thank you for your help ^^~~

    ReplyDelete
  17. I so want to try Deokkbokki!!.. It looks so delicious..I'm trying to imagine what it tastes like..Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anywhere I can buy some...I live in Ipoh. Though there is a Korean mart I know of, but I haven't went there to see if I can find any Korea stuff..I do hope I can find or at least make my own deokkbokki!! lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Larian Bersama Bomba Is Back, With A Difference

CHIN MEI SEE MAKES HISTORY AS THE ONLY FEMALE MALAYSIAN AT 2019 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS IN KAILUA-KONA, HAWAII

IRONDAD INSPIRES ENTIRE FAMILY TO COMPETE IN IRONMAN 70.3 LANGKAWI