Don A Tutu, Lace Up Your Shoes - We're Going For A Run!

I did my first full marathon at Malaysia Women Marathon (MWM) in 2013. To celebrate running in this inaugural unique marathon, a number of us who joined MWM wore costumes for the run.
At that time, I wore my "rabbit ear and tail", a friend wore a Minnie Mouse headband and a flower-patterned skirt while we run in the full marathon category.

The bunny tail was courtesy of a running friend, Yvonne Teo who kindly handmade it for me.

A late friend of ours joined the half marathon category wearing a flower headband and a hula skirt.
Here she was, with Kathrine Switzer. Yup, THE Kathrine Switzer,

It was a great memory, we ran hard and we "partied" hard too at the run.

Later that year, Hubby and I joined Putrajaya Night Marathon and we decided to go as "Cik Arnab and Encik Kura-Kura". I wore my "bunny" outfit and he wore a DIY tortoise shell that he made using a basket. Hahaha

There are of course many others who run wearing other costumes and at most races, I could always see runners who love donning something special for their run - be it costumes or even wearing traditional outfits!

There are many reasons why some of us choose to wear silly stuff or traditional outfits during races (even ultra-marathons!). We could be doing it for a cause, for ourselves or because we just want to make other runners smile.

My motivation initially was indeed to make others smile and also to motivate myself.

Whatever the reason runners do it, it certainly made races more colourful and entertaining. Plus it's a great way to promote a cause, as these runners are more visible to others and made great conversation starter.
Fast forward to Hulu Langat Marathon 2017, it was the first time I bumped into this bubbly running couple; Jin & Jian whom I learnt afterwards, always run full marathons donning tutus. How cute.

You can learn more about Jin and Jian in my blog post here.

I wonder if Jin will be wearing a tutu for Nagoya Women's Marathon next month? I hope so!

My late friend and mentor-of-sort on running and blogging; Evelyn had been telling me about a project of getting underprivileged mothers to sew and make tutus designed specially for runners.

She had many charitable projects that she was involved in, and this was to be one of them. And she was always seen running wearing a tutu, even for her ultra-marathons!
She had even arranged for our relay team to don running tutus when we joined ASICS Relay held in Putrajaya in 2017.
We joined the relay run as a team for The Marathon Company, and our running tutus were provided by Summersault Running.

I may not look as cute as her in a tutu, but anything for a good cause!

It was through Evelyn that I learn about Summersault Running. As I mentioned before, the company is serious about getting underprivileged mothers on-board and the project is currently underway. So I guess, me writing about this is my small contribution to something that was close to Evelyn and a project that she was passionate about.

I joined Standard Chartered KL Marathon (SCKLM) in 2018 and ran for charity; for The National Cancer Society of Malaysia (NASOM) in memory of relatives and friends who had succumbed to cancer.

I am considering wearing a pink tutu this year and run for HOSPIS Malaysia as a continuation of last year's effort. Pink tutu because a pink ribbon symbolizes breast cancer awareness, and I want to wear something pink and bigger (or louder) than a pink ribbon. Hehe

Plus, Breast Cancer Awareness month is in October, and SCKLM being held on Sep 29, 2019; I get to do an early start for the awareness. No? 

Anyway, did you know that in 1991, pink ribbons were distributed to all breast cancer survivors and participants of the Komen New York City Race for the Cure®?

My friends and I used to pretty much DIYed our running costumes in the past but nowadays it is much easier to don running costumes that are designed specially for runners.

That's where Summersault Running comes in, and for whatever reason you choose to run in costumes; Summersault Running may have something for you to choose from.

I also like the fact that they provide a chance for runners to run at a very minimal fee - because of their collaborations with race organisers. It's called the "YOLOPacers" community intiative and you can find out about it at their Facebook page:

So if you are thinking about donning a running costume and not sure where to start, Summersault Running may just be the place for you to look.

You can visit their website: http://summersaultmy.com
Facebook page: @summersaultmy
or Instagram: @summersaultmy

Comments

  1. Where is the photo of En Kura Kura with his basket tortoise shell? I love the idea of putting on a tutu for a race. If we can't do ballet, we can still wear a tutu. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha lazy to put the kura-kura photo.

      Ya, I so agree with you!
      Even if we can't ballet, we can still.wear a tutu.
      😬

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts