Fit & Fabulous Farisha

Every year on March 8, the world celebrates International Women’s Day to support, raise, inspire and women across all fields. To celebrate the upcoming International Women’s Day in March, I asked a few questions to a few female triathletes who manage to juggle work, family and training life; in keeping of this year’s theme of #BalanceforBetter and celebrate women’s achievements and tenaciously challenge bias.

These strong women show us that with determination and focus, women can achieve so much more. They are women who embrace the multi-sports discipline of swim-bike-run with such determination and doing it in style.

For our third installment, Siti Farisha Dina spent time to answer our questions.

Thank you for spending time to answer a few of our questions. I really do appreciate it.
For the readers, can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
Iʼm a wife and mom of a cheeky 5 year old boy, an IT executive who enjoys sports and recreational activities to keep healthy and fit.
Credit to Jack Ah Beh
First of all, why triathlon?
Because of the challenge. 

Triathlon is a 3-disciplined sport and I just wanted to try and see how tough it can be to train for 3 sports instead of one, and if I can survive it.

Which is the hardest discipline for you – swimming, cycling or running?
All three disciplines have their own challenges, but if I have to pick one, it would be swimming. The fact that you are on your own in the open sea with possibilities of choppy water, strong currents, leg cramping or people kicking you - these things generally give you the idea of how scary it can be.
Credit to Nik fahusnaza (enaikay)
How do you get through that hard part to complete your race?
I joined the Gogetter Triathlon Squad in December 2016, to prep myself for my first Ironman Langkawi 70.3 in 2017. My coaches not only train us on the correct swimming technique, but also how to have more confidence and manage our fears in the open water. Besides the squad, my group from the Gaited Community Tri always train together and motivate each other in our weekly training.

Apart from the physical aspect of training, do you face any challenges or resistance from people around you in your quest to be a triathlete?
The people around me are quite supportive, especially my family, but of course life always comes with some challenges. For me I have to juggle between work which at times demand more of my time, and also whenever my husband has to work extra hours or goes outstation for work, no one is able to look after my son. Sometimes my mom, who is also very supportive, is willing to babysit my son for a couple of hours whenever she is free so that I can do my training outside, especially my long rides.

What is your typical day like?
My typical day when I prep for my race would be something like this: 
Weekdays 
- Morning:
Work until about 5:30pm. Before I leave, I will make sure I have some snacks to fuel up for my evening sessions.

- Evening:
My training menu vary daily - a short run (with interval run once a week), followed by a swim after, or a bike spin on the trainer, followed by a run off the bike. 

- Night:
Family time as well as recovery and I make sure I never skip dinner. Sometimes if Iʼm busy during the day, Iʼll squeeze in a short training session at night. 

Weekends
Long runs and long rides / brick training in the morning, family time the rest of the day. If I am unable to train outside, I will spin on the trainer or run on the treadmill.
(editor: she did 30K on treadmill easy, folks)

How do you fit in your training schedule between work, family and other commitments?
I slot my training in whenever I can, sometimes in the evening, or at night due to family or other commitments. I also have more recovery days in 2018 compared to 2017 due to health and injury reasons. I feel rest and recovery are also important aspects of training, you cannot train optimally if you are sick or injured.

Iʼm sure training hasnʼt been a walk in the park, what motivates and inspires you to keep going?
The fact that triathlon events are expensive helps to motivate me to finish the race.

Also, Iʼm grateful that my family is supportive and I have a group of friends who are on the same journey so we always train together or at least motivate each other by not forgetting to have fun most of the time.

How do you get through tough days?
Besides trying to endure the tough sessions, reading other triathleteʼs motivational journeys help a lot, because I know Iʼm not the only one who struggles in my daily routine or training.

Whatʼs your most memorable experience in doing triathlons?
My first sprint triathlon in Port Dickson back in 2012. At the time, swimming 750m in the open water was something I never thought I could do, but I managed to breast-stroke my way to the shore (probably among the last people to reach the shore) and I felt like I have finished the race! It was awesome. 
Whatʼs your proudest achievement to-date?
To have completed my 3rd triathlon 70.3 distance, and I shaved 30 minutes off in Ironman 70.3 Langkawi in 2018 compared to 2017.
(Editor: Wow, that's a huge PB)

Any funny or silly moments you want to share too?
I almost called my boss ‘Coachʼ once during a work discussion. Talk about a different kind of commitment!

Do you have a favourite gear or outfit that you have to have during your race?
My sunglasses is a must have for my bike and run. Apart from keeping my eyes off the glare, you will never fail to have a good photo with a pair of nice sunnies.
(Editor: Goodr, if you're reading this - she's a huge fan of your sunglasses! I bet she'll be happy to collaborate. ehem)

Whatʼs next for you?
I guess for every average triathlete, the ultimate target is probably to do the Ironman race. It is definitely on my list, but I will do it only when Iʼm ready to give my full commitment to the whole journey.

Any advice or tips for those who are starting out or plan to enter this wonderful, exciting world of triathlons?
Triathlon is about skill and commitment, not just speed and endurance. Invest by taking a swim class or join a local tri club so you will learn and get the experience from the coaches and other triathletes. This can definitely boost your confidence because you are surrounded by like-minded people. I am also still learning from the others as well as my own past mistakes so I hope I can improve in future events.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions and we wish you the best for your future races!
Thank you for having me! I hope sharing this experience can be beneficial to some who would like to take up triathlon :)

Comments

  1. Great tips. Utmost respect to the cool lady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kwin yang fabeles mmg idola kami senantiasa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats for the awesome achievements!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in awe! This lady is like a superwoman - wife, mother, career woman and a triathlete. I feel like such a wimp hu..hu... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a determined lady! Nice family photo! Her family must be so proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe I will need to be a better swimmer to even think about this kind of event...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts