My First 10K At KL Standard Chartered Marathon

Yup, I finally decided to enter a 10K this year at KL Standard Chartered Marathon (KLSCM).
And for the first time since joining KLSCM (or what used to be called SCKLM - ask the mayor about this name change lah) from the year 2012 , I started my run in front of Sogo which was where all 10K categories were flagged-off.

For 10K, there were the Speed category which was flagged-off at 6:45 am, Cruise category (flag-off at 7:15 am), Leisure category (flag-off at 7:45 am).
I wasn't expecting to see any familiar faces at the 10K as most of my friends did either the half marathon or full marathon.

I was quite surprised to see the ever jovial Mohan Marathon also doing the 10K and we entered the pen together.

Thanks for this photo, Mohan!
2019 is my 8th participation in KLSCM but my first ever 10K.

This year I also did the Run for A Reason, which is a charity programme for individuals to fund raise for their chosen charity partner.

I chose The National Cancer Society of Malaysia last year, in memory of family members and friends who succumbed to cancer.

This year, Hospis Malaysia was my chosen charity partner. Hospis Malaysia had helped my friends while they were battling cancer and it was a small way for me to contribute back.

Many, many thanks to fellow runners who had contributed. 

I joined the 10K Speed category and was flagged-off at 6:45am.

Despite only doing one 5K run in three weeks prior to the race, I was quite relieved that I could still hold a decent running pace.

It went quite well, but I got bored soon after. Apart from the many, many volunteers standing mutely by the roadside watching us running by, there were ABSOLUTELY nothing whatsoever special during the run.

After a longish uphill run at KM1.3 or so, we made a u-turn and went downhill.

I was surprised to see an official photographer sitting cross-legged right in the middle of the runners' route. It's probably a great angle for him, but I was more worried for his safety and more importantly any runners who might accidentally ran into him than getting a great photo taken by him. Downhill, mah.

And I actually avoided him.

I wish there was at least a volunteer standing behind him to at least make runners alert about his presence.

After passing Life Centre, we turned right towards KLCC. Some motorbikes kept on riding to cross the junction as there weren't anyone to stop them as runners were running.

There were two volunteers standing at the opposite side of the road, and as I ran past them, I told them to get someone to man that junction and they just looked at me blankly.

Kudos to the traffic police and marshall at the Kampung Baru junction. They manned those junction marvelously.

While I normally don't have high expectations for a local run, I was quite surprised at how boring the 10K was this time. At KLSCM some more!

But maybe the 10K categories that were flagged off later had more fun than us. Who knows, right? The leisure category looked like they had fun!

One cannot fault the number of volunteers who supported us that day, but most seemed to be rather shy at interacting with runners. 

By the time we reached Padang Merbok, I was feeling pissed off at myself for even registering to run a 10K.

So from KM7 onwards, I was feeling rather meh and started to walk.

I saw a cameraman at the mist arch next to the KM7 water station but as I was feeling rather grumpy, I avoided the camera. Again.

Yes, that's how grumpy I was.

And I just walked as runners entered Lake Garden.

Then I saw two female volunteers cheering loudly at the junction near Jalan Tanglin, and I told them that they were the first volunteers who gave encouragement to runners and thanked them.

Yes, thank every volunteer you see. We don't this often enough. I do this despite feeling grumpy.

Thanks girls! Appreciate your encouragement.

And I was feeling happier as we reached the last WS in front of Masjid Negara.

The volunteers there are loud, happening, helpful and one can't help to feel cheered up just by seeing them.

It was just another kilometer to go but instead of pushing, I just took it easy.

I have to say, it's a completely different experience running the 10K final kilometer route as opposed to the half marathon and full marathon.

All I can say, if you can train and run longer distance - do join the half marathon or full marathon in KLSCM. That's where the drama and fun are at.

And you should totally experience the support from runners as you were running that last 500m dash to the finish line.

Do listen to this kakak or makcik.

Run a half marathon or full marathon at KLSCM. You may regret it during your run, but the experience and memory will be more awesome.

Unless of course, you want to aim for a 10K PB. With nothing much to distract you and a friendly route, aiming to PB your 10K at KLSCM is a great option.

I just thought that I wanted to add a 10K medal to complete my collection. Of course, right after I finished my run; I forgot where I stashed those medal.

I tried to find all of my KLSCM medal and I still couldn't find last year's medal. I actually accidentally brought it to Japan TWICE as I forgot I had put it in my travel handbag. Hahaha

Anyhoo, photos taken at KLSCM, both on 28.09.19 for the Kids Dash, 5K and Friendship Run and on 29.9.19 can be viewed at our Facebook page Cik Arnab & En Kura-Kura.

Do LIKE and FOLLOW us for more race photos and updates.

Comments

  1. Grumpy, eh? LOL! I suppose no more 10K for you then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran a lot of 10K, but I'm just saying, if it's KLSCM, go for the farther distance.

      Delete
  2. i feel the same....kenapa bila lari rasa krik2 all the way... no cheering from the volunteers except at the last WS happening gila!! i start wonder bosannya run 10km ni...SCKLM kut... next year i will try HM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jom jom. At least kalau volunteers krik krik, runners ramai yang ceria dan suka berborak. Haha

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts