Gunung Nuang Ultra - My Second Trail Run

Actually, I didn't do much running because I am not a mountain goat! Most people ran; they are hardcore but I stuck to my plan of walking the inclines and ran the declines. I admit, I am lazy.

I plan to finish the Gunung Nuang Ultra within 12 hours and I want to savour every minute of it. Plus I really want to train to be on my feet for long hours to prepare for another challenge in April!

I've never done any trail race after Salomon X-Trail way back in 2012. One baby trail experience and here I was, in the company of many experienced trail runners, setting off to do the Gunung Nuang Ultra.

I've been to Gunung Nuang a few times before but as a hiker. Been to other trails too but I don' run on trails. Cannot see very well so I played safe, I just walked. LOL
Gunung Nuang Ultra is a 12-hour endurance run held from 6.30am - 6.30pm. This year, it was held on Mar 1st, 2015. Around 260 runners registered, if I am not mistaken.

The format is simple. Just complete the 10K loop from Renjer-Balak Trail (never ending road)-renjer, and do it as many as you can or want to.

I feel that the loop/lap format of Gunung Nuang Ultra is a good platform for any runners who want to move on to ultra trail events. You get to practise and hone your endurance and yet, you'd feel safe knowing there is a water station and support at 5K mark.

My goal was simple.
Complete each loop (notice the circled number, up to 5?) within the targeted time and aim to finish in 11hours 50minutes. 
First and second 10K loop went by without too much suffering. But I guess my plan of taking it easy for the first loop (it was still dark after all), made other runners quite worried about my well-being. As I plan to last for 12-hours, I didn't want to push too early in the race although my plan made me the last runner that day.

Furthermore, I warm-up really slowly and it was well after an hour that my calves stop screaming in protest and I felt more comfortable tackling the distance. 

Support from fellow runners and even friendly hikers and campers were really much appreciated. Not to forget the cheerful volunteers. ^^

Made through three loops well within my targeted time so I decided that I can afford a longer resting time. 

Apart from the official refreshment area set by the organiser, there were food sources (hahaha) from other supporters too and I hanged-out at the PACat Team support station. 

For the first and second loop, I feasted on watermelons and enjoyed soursop drinks to ensure that I fill my tummy and not get hungry on the trail. Nothing is more energy sapping for me than being hungry. 
Starting on my 3rd loop after 25min rest.

I stopped longer as it was already around lunch time, ate the nasi goreng with ayam goreng berempah served by the organiser and gorge on more watermelons.
After the third loop, friends came and supported us. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

So the rest stop got a little bit longer for not only rest and eat but also chatting and photo sessions. Hubby had to literally shoved me out to make me start on my fourth loop. LOL

Anyway, both my knees had started to get painful well into the third loop and I started icing them each time I got down to make it feel slightly better. It was sheer murder trying to run down on steep declines with painful knees, I tell you.

I started the 4th loop with an ice-cream in hand because the organiser treated us runners with free ce-cream. And thank goodness a fellow runner later caught up with me and we chatted and chatted while going up the loop again. 

It was always such a relief to arrive to the end of the "Balak Trail" as it meant that we get to make a u-turn and head back to the starting line although it also meant my knees would later need to do a whole lot of pounding.
Photo credit : missyblurkit.com
Hubby promised to accompany me finish the 5th loop together so we set off to do one final loop with 2 and a half hours to spare before the cut-off time.

It was hard to do the 5th loop. Not only the knees were hurting, my crotch was in pain too but never say die, right? I just needed to just keep moving, after all. But I was too slow this time.

Friends caught up with us around 1K into the loop and a friend kindly "towed" and pushed me up. I called her evil but I am truly grateful for making me move faster.

Arrived the 5K mark with an hour and 10 minutes to spare. Hubby got worried but I was feeling relaxed because I somehow was confident I'd at my slowest made it down within an hour. *Sombong!*

I thank the volunteers at the 5K mark and happily told them that I won't be seeing them again. I'm finishing my run and soon they'll be finishing their shift. ^^

Anyways, much as I tried to run down each time we faced a decline, I had to stop or slow down because the knees protested whenever it was too steep but I started to run again as we reached the cemented (ugh... why la cement the trail?) part of the trail.
I made it down in 11 hours 50 minutes and 25 seconds. See, the last lap going down took me less than an hour. ^^
My 5 loops done and the temperature of the day.

We were lucky this year. It wasn't as hot as last year.

Happy I made it although there were a few times when thoughts of just doing 30K or 40K did came up in my mind. Glad I persevered and grateful that hubby would push me to not linger too much.
Photo credit : missyblurkit.com
Thank you for everyone involved that day.

I had a great learning experience.

Comments

  1. wow, that was certainly a run that needs lots of stamina as well as determination!!

    congratulations on making it through and the time exactly like you have planned..

    i wonder what's into the stomach after the run?? hehehe

    ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was restraint. Only ate kari sardin that night for dinner as it was already late.
      See la tonight makan apa pulak!
      BTW, I had nasi lemak this morning. I feel I deserved it. Hihihi

      Delete
  2. Salute you, if me, i peng sang liao...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were me, you have no choice to train lor... Hahaha

      Delete
  3. I think you not only trained the legs to stayed on for longer hours, with the perfect planned versus actual time completed per loop, you are training your pacing discipline too in Ultra running.

    Knowing what your want and doing exactly what planned to achieve your goal!
    Another great achievement packed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness! Just reading, I feel tired already hah..hah... Well done! You are one tough lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marlina, Nuang Ultra this time was my second attempt after I DNF last year. What I learn from last year is I must not rest and just walk it all the way. My target was 2 hrs each loop, where I ended with 1:45 in first loop, but a whooping 3hrs on my final. I do recognize you coz when I started running late 2012, I followed ur blog for lessons and motivation. You and Azmi Isa both are strong and consistent FM finishers, so while I never acknowledge you both verbally whenever we pass by, I was hoping you two would finish successfully. So when I was heading down on final loop and saw You, and then Azmi heading up with 1:15 left on the clock, I knew you two would finish it. I actually wrote about you in my fb race report. If you want it to be removed, let me know. Hope to see you again in future FMs and Ultras. Btw, my report is here

    https://www.facebook.com/notes/asrul-sulaiman/race-report-gunung-nuang-ultra-2015/10152728050081149

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats for finishing this time around.

      Delete
  6. Congrats Kak Lina for finishing the gruelsome elevation of GNU 2015... It was nice to bump into you and Abg Zaini several times on that fateful Sunday... GNU really took a great toll on me on that day.. Best of luck for SAC next month yaa... =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gruesome ke? hehehe

      Anyway congrats to you for your run jugak.

      Delete
    2. Gruesome for me... Gara-gara kurang training di Nuang, adeiii sakitnya tuh di sinih... Heheee... Next year kena try buat yang lebih baik lagik nih, provided training loop di Nuang kena buat gak at least 2-3 loops hewhew... =D

      Delete
  7. That's nice, friends came and support and that's a big motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow.... ultra ... don't dare to think of it as I'm not even qualified yet for HM..hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One step at a time, Chris.
      No hurry. There's no competition in who's doing this or not. ;)

      Delete
  9. Bravo Lina. You have achieved another milestone. Ahem ahem...next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy.

      Just continue doing this lor... :)

      Delete
  10. You and Zaini perfect match la. Each push one and another for better result :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't care about results actually.

      We aim, we set plan and at the end of the day, we execute the plan and hopefully with the company of each other. :)

      Delete
  11. Congrats! You are improving so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Not only ice cream. We ate nasi goreng, nasi lemak, pizza too. Lol

      Delete
  13. Congrats on finishing the race. I learn new word today...loop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tahniah. Harus tahun depan i kena folo your plan, agar i x tercicir hehe. truly great experience for me at GNU 2015. i will come back stronger next year (eh, kata insaf) hehee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alamak. Baru perasan komen ini.

      Indeed GNU was a great experience.

      See you in 2016. Kita revenge! ^^

      Delete
  15. Hi! Were there leeches/pacat along the way? I am thinking of joining this in 2016 but i really3 dislike pacat! Hehe. - Khai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry. You won't encounter them at Gunung Nuang Ultra.

      Now, if you enter the International Nuang Marathon; that might be a different story. Hahaha

      All the best!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts