TriHard - Tri Is A Family Matter For Nurul Hidayah

Every year on March 8, the world celebrates International Women’s Day to support, raise, inspire and women across all fields. To celebrate the upcoming International Women’s Day in March, I asked a few questions to a few female triathletes who manage to juggle work, family and training life; in keeping of this year’s theme of #BalanceforBetter and celebrate women’s achievements and tenaciously challenge bias.

These strong women show us that with determination and focus, women can achieve so much more. They are women who embrace the multi-sports discipline of swim-bike-run with such determination and doing it in style.
For the second installment of this series, Nurul Hidayah spared some of her busy time to answer our questions.

Thank you for spending time to answer a few of our questions. I really do appreciate it.

For the readers, can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
I am a 39 years old single mother of three children. I work in the maintenance sector as Facilities Executive. I started out with mountain biking in 2012 and opt for running in 2015. I learn to swim in 2005.

First of all, why triathlon?
I want the best version of myself. Besides, tri ladies are sexy in their own way... haha...

Which is the hardest discipline for you – swimming, cycling or running?
Swimming  of course.

There is a huge difference when you train in the swimming pool and when you race in open water. Sometimes the waves can be friendly, sometimes not. We just have to master different strokes just to go with the flow.

How do you get through that hard part to complete your race?
My only motivation is my children. I must complete the race as I know my beloved children always wait for me at the finishing line.

Apart from the physical aspect of training, do you face any challenges or resistance from people around you in your quest to be a triathlete?
Breastfeeding while racing, I guess. I have to manage my expressed breast milk in advanced prior to any coming race.

Other than that, I am blessed that my family especially my parents and my brother always give me their endless support and prayer. My children grow up with this Tri kind of things. I can say Tri is a family matter.

What is your typical day like?
I am just an ordinary mother. I wake up at 5am and prepare my children to get ready for school. After 5.30pm I’ll be around the neighbourhood doing my short spin. My run will be after sending the kids for their night class.

A short brick is a must. Either cycling and running or swimming and running. I have specific weekly mileage to fulfill.
How do you fit in your training schedule between work, family and other commitments?
Time management plays a major role. I make a schedule for myself and the children. But most of all, my family is my priority.

Long ride will be on weekends, same goes for running. I do skip my lunch break during office hours just to be in the pool to make sure I have proper swim training.

Sometimes you can see me wearing some fancy-dress running fun run with my children. I see it as one of my bonding time with them.

I’m sure training hasn’t been a walk in the park, what motivates and inspires you to keep going?
I will be reminiscing why did I start doing triathlons and imagining the finish line. Recently, I took up yoga to reduce my performance anxiety and improve my concentration. Sometimes a good sleep will do.

Your children are also actively participating in triathlons and races. How do you cope with demand of your own training and your children's needs?
As I said earlier, tri is a family matter. Whenever I train, they train too. I just have to know when to push and when to let go. Kids will be kids and we have to let them grow and not to stress them. I see myself as a mother. Not a coach.

What’s your most memorable experience in doing triathlons?
Swimming in the open sea for the first time. It was dark down there. Sometimes some big fishes cross below you. I never thought that I’ll be doing it.
What's your most memorable experience as what you call, being a "Momager"?
Seeing my children improve from time to time. I have a bench mark for each one of them. I can say that they developed me to be one strong “momager’ today!
What’s your proudest achievement to-date?
Winning 2nd place AG during MOWS 2017 1st leg despite having problems with my goggles in the middle of the sea. I told myself, just keep moving and paddling.

Any funny or silly moments you want to share too?
I do get confused and disoriented during transitions. Running to wrong bicycle lane is one of it. Hahaha..

Do you have a favourite gear or outfit that you have to have during your race?
A good sports bra will give me either a good or a bad race!

What’s next for you?
I’ll be participating in more duathlons & triathlons for sure. But I am really looking forward to do ultras. I also want to get involved in more charity running event in future.

Any advice or tips for those who are starting out or plan to enter this wonderful, exciting world of triathlons?
A nutritious and healthy diet is essential. Focus in what you really want to do. Train and recover well. Always remember to TRiHard.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions and we wish you the best for your future races!

Comments

  1. Wow! Really a superwoman! So determine and so energetic! Truly an inspiration to many!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could be like any of you guys who are doing tri...I can't swim well....so. Bummer! Maybe I can just take part in duathlon. But it is not that common right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always join relay category & have a friend who cam swim to do the swim leg. 😀

      Anyways, there are plenty of duathlons around.
      Registration for March's powerman is still open.
      You can also check out these:
      1. Educity Duathlon
      2. Southern Duathlon
      3. XTerra
      4. Sepang Duathlon
      5. Kerian Int Duathlon
      6. Malaysia International Duathlon

      among others...

      Delete
  3. I knew this lady... Real metal... Haha haha...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts